Digital Humanities Research Network 2015-2016
Contact: To receive event updates and participate in related conversations, or to get the password for protected readings, please e-mail please email Mattie Burkert (email@example.com)
Coordinators: Briana Marshall (UW-Madison Libraries), Jonathan Senchyne (School of Library and Information Sciences), Eric Alexander (Computer Science), Mattie Burkert (English), Cid Freitag (DoIT Academic Technology)
Digital Humanities Research Network workshops, meetings, and events can be found in the Borghesi-Mellon Workshops Calendar.
Our group aims to fulfill the need for a centralized digital humanities community on campus by meeting regularly and establishing a shared workspace. In our meetings, we will focus on the processes involved in digitizing, quantifying, and visualizing different types of humanities objects turned data (including printed books, manuscripts, historical records, art, music, films). In addition to opening up new research questions, our group will provide an opportunity for a sustained conversation about the computational and analytical aspects of the digital humanities. Our group will consider the current theories underlying digital methodologies and also discuss, brainstorm, and workshop specific projects at various stages. The overarching questions structuring these meetings are:
- What do we mean by “digital humanities”?
- What are the implications of these methodologies? More specifically, why should we undertake computational humanities projects, and how do they how alter the cultural artifacts they engage?
- How do we implement these approaches into our research and teaching?
Group meetings information:
To achieve the goals mentioned above, the Digital Humanities Research Network will meet approximately every other Tuesday at 4:00pm in the Memorial Library Commons (Room 460), unless otherwise indicated. When appropriate, readings can be found at our Readings page. Our theme for 2015-16 is “Sustaining Digital Humanities,” which we hope will structure an ongoing conversation about ways to maintain a vibrant DH community on the UW-Madison campus.
Our fall meeting dates are as follows:
- Tuesday, September 8, 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 22, 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 6, 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 20, 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 3, 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 17, 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 1, 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 8, 4:00-6:00 p.m. *note the December 15 meeting has been moved to December 8